Saturday, February 26, 2011

Mom was (is always) right...





Friday was rather uneventful. I checked-in and then tried to do some grocery shopping. I made it to a Lidl close by and chose my food. I went to check-out and found out they only accepted cash! So, the teller was nice and said he would put everything back for me. I guess I should have gotten some cash - like mom had suggested - but really I was so tired I just went home and went to bed. I fell asleep to watching the first Stars Wars...auf Deutsch of course!

Today (26.2) was a good busy day. I was up during the middle of the night for a few hours because of jet lag, so I finally woke up about 10 this morning. I have been so tired and sick...I really needed the rest.

I went to see what are known as the Elbe Castles today. They were real close to my hotel, just 2 stops away. There are 3 castles, or palaces, that are built right next to each other on the Elbe river. They were quite impressive and I enjoyed walking around and seeing the great European architecture. The sad part is that it is still winter and everything is dead! So, I had to imagine what the grounds would look like during the spring and summer. definitely want to return once things green-up!








I then headed over to the Theatreplatz area where the Semperoper is at. I was excited to finally see it in person. I will return and do a tour inside some day. Around the Semperoper are many historical sites. Today I kind of just wandered through everything not really knowing what I was looking at half of the time. I figured that I can return later, take more time, and learn more about the buildings and their history. It was fun to see them though.






I did enter the Frauenkirche, which is probably the most famous church in Dresden. It was so different than the cathedrals of England. It was very bright and airy with colorful decorations. It had a huge organ too. I might attend their evening service tomorrow so that I can hear the organ played. I also entered the crypt, which wasn't too bad. Again, it too was very bright and well kept. Seeing how it was rebuilt since WWII, it was more modern than perhaps the cathedrals of England.






I finally did some grocery shopping today, after getting some mone from the ATM. The grocery store is slim pickn's and I still have not even seen sauerkraut or mustard in the stores or where to buy it on the streets. I guess I just need to keep looking.

I did have a great dinner tonight...it really took me back to my days in London. I had a doner and it was great! We would eat these all the time in London and I have not had one like it since then. The best part about it was the garlic sauce they put on it...and it was great to taste it again. Hopefully before I leave Dresden I will find some true German food though.

I should have brought a pedometer with me. If I walked 1 mile today I bet I walked 100! It will be good for me though. Just liek Japan, you walk everywhere. Also, like my days in London I have got to get the courage to cross the streets again. I mean, traffic is busy and they do not have cross walks. So, you just walk out into traffic, stand in the middle, and hopefully make your way to the otherside. It is a litte like Frogger...

Well, that's it for today. I am sure more happened, but I just can't think to write about it. Tomorrow will be Church, perhaps a stroll along the Elbe and then evening Mass at the Frauenkirche. Bis spaet...








No comments:

Post a Comment