Friday, March 18, 2011

EVERY Town needs an Opea House!

I can sympathize with mom better after this week. I was asked to give the opening prayer at Institute this week. I had never been so nervous to offer a prayer before. They said I could do it in English, but of course I offered it in German. It wasn't perfect, but I think people knew what I was trying to say...

This week I got to see some of the sights that I have been looking forward to. The first was the Glaecerne Manufaktur. It is a VW car plant and here they only make the Phaeton. The car is completly handbuilt except for 4 robots in the factory. Every car is presold before it is produced and the customers customize the entire car.

The factory was very different from the Toyota factory in Japan. It was a lot of fun to see how they put these crs together in just 24 hours!



On Thursday I went to the Semperoper. It was awesome to finally see the inside of the opera house. The opera house has actually been built 3 times here in Dresden. 1) Original construction 2) Rebuilt after a fire destroyed it 3) Rebuilt after it was destroyed in WWII.

What is interesting is that Gottfried Semper, the architect, was asked to oversee the second construction. However, he was in Vienna at the time and did not want to come to Dresden. So, he built the opera house through letters. This was beneficial because after it was destroyed in WWII, the city of Dresden was able to retrieve these 1000+ letters and rebuild the oepra house the same way that Semper had originally built it.

I was so excited to see it that I went and bought tickets for 3 different operas for the month of April. I got the student price so they were only about $13.50 a piece.








This picture is for Dallin... The Rodizio Grill!



This is the Bluaes Wunder. There are very few bridges that cross the Elbe river in Dresden and this one is quite coveted. The place where it is at is an old Sorb? village.




There are still old wood frame homes built in this area.





This was an old church I found. The roof and most of the sides are completely destroyed. However, the few parts that are covered are actually used today for Kindergarten and other church services.


This was my lunch. The Turkish food is the best!











No comments:

Post a Comment